Saturday, March 12, 2011

Medical Practice

I've spent the past 6 months practicing my medical knowledge and skills on the Intensive Care Unit of a hospital named after a famous politician, George Gennimatas.
To be honest, when I first started, on the 1st of October, 2010 and for 1, maybe 2 months, I wasn't very much into it. I used to think of practice as just a boring and tiresome task, nothing more. I was even counting the days I had left to complete it, one by one.
Eventually I got to know the people who work there better. To be honest I don't like all of them, but we are all part of the same team. We are all like "brothers in arms" or something like that. And, for God's shake, we are the Elite! We are not working on a simple Hospital ward, but on the ICU! I gotta admit that sometimes it's tough and we face problems, people are dieing -both old and young- but each time we save a life, I feel like I took part on something big, something glorious, one could say. I feel proud each time I put my uniform on.
Now the semester is almost over, and at the end of this month I will finish my practice. I still don't know how I feel about it! Relieved and nostalgic at the same time!
One thing is for sure: I learned a lot of useful stuff in there, I faced and surpassed many of my fears about hospitals and I'm sure I will miss most of the people I'm working with.

No comments: