Thursday, January 21, 2010

Haiti Earthquake

Today I had lunch with a friend of mine and then he came with me at my place, 'cos I was asked to give him a copy of Microsoft Office 2007 and some notes for the exams. He turned the TV on, and the first thing we saw was the news. The news was about Haiti.
I have been reading stuff about the incident and the situation, but today was actually the first time I saw things in real-life video. The images were shocking! Dead bodies gathered behind the hospital, on a big pile. People asking for medical attention, kids trying to forget the situation, playing some ball.... You can clearly see those people are crying out for help. And there is nothing I can do to help them. I mean significantly help them, not with 1, 2... 10 bucks.
There are times I consider myself to be someone special, but in situations like these, I realize that no matter how much I want to help people who suffer, no matter how much I want to be a hero, I realize that I'm just a boy, among billions of others. I'm not a hero, I cannot save or help anyone. Maybe I'm not who I think I am. Perhaps there are still new plateaus for me to reach. Far greater heights to which I must ascend. Because after my death I want people to remember all the good I've done, all the help I've given.
To each and everyone who died on that terrible earthquake, I got one thing to say:
Gerich hîdh nen gurth .

 

No comments: